JOHANNESBURG, South Africa — World champion Caster Semenya has withdrawn from a meeting this weekend amid speculation about the runner’s gender.
The South African Press Association quotes her coach, Michael Seme, as saying she will not take part in the 4,000 meters at the national cross country championships in Pretoria on Saturday.
He had said earlier this week that Semenya would run, saying she was "not feeling well."
Earlier this week, an Australian newspaper reported that testing determined she has male and female sexual organs triggered outrage in South Africa on Friday.
The International Association of Athletics Federations, which ordered the tests, refused to confirm or deny the reports. The IAAF said it will issue a decision on test results in November.
Semenya won the women’s 800m title at the IAAF World Championships in Berlin, Germany last month.