Following Bryce Hoppel’s season debut outstanding 1:44.37 performance to win the men’s 800m at Sunday’s American Track League Meeting #2 at Randal Tyson Track Center in Fayetteville, AR., we take a look at the Top-20 all-time indoor performances in the event.
Big Jump Up The All-Time List
Hoppel improved his lifetime best significantly when he ran away from a star-studded field with a top-notch performance over the weekend that saw him moving up to No. 6 on the indoor 800m all-time list.
Entering Sunday’s race, the 23-year-old American had an indoor personal best of 1:45.70, set when finishing second to countryman Donavan Brazier at the 2020 Millrose Games in New York.
Brazier, in that race, established a new American and area record of 1:44.22, which is ranked fifth all-time.
Topping the all-time 800m indoor performances is Kenyan-born-turned-Dane former middle-distance runner Wilson Kipketer, who set a 1:42.67 world record at the World Indoor Championships in Paris on March 9, 1997.
The top-5 includes No.2 Michael Saruni of Kenya who ran 1:43.98 in 2019, while Russia’s Yuriy Borzakovskiy is No. 3 with 1:44.15 and No. 4 is Kenyan Emmanuel Korir at 1:44.21.
The top-10 is completed by performances by Ethiopian Mohamed Aman, Poland’s Adam Kszczot, Joseph Mutua of Kenya, and Sudan’s Ahmad Ismail.
Will we see a Brazier vs Hoppel head-to-head matchup again this indoor season?
Better yet, will either athlete challenge the world record before the conclusion of the campaign?
800 m Men All-time List
- Wilson Kipketer 1:42.67 WR DEN 1997
- Michael Saruni 1:43.98 KEN 2019
- Yuriy Borzakovskiy 1:44.15 RUS 2001
- Emmanuel Korir 1:44.21 KEN 2018
- Donavan Brazier 1:44.22 USA 2020
- Bryce Hoppel 1:44.37 USA 2021
- Mohamed Aman 1:44.52 ETH 2014
- Adam Kszczot 1:44.57 POL 2012
- Joseph Mutua 1:44.71 KEN 2004
- Ahmad Ismail 1:44.75 SUD 2009
- Paweł Czapiewski 1:44.78 POL 2002
- Abubaker Kaki 1:44.81 SUD 2008
- Mehdi Baala 1:44.82 FRA 2003
- Paul Ereng 1:44.84 KEN 1989
- Nico Motchebon 1:44.88 GER 1995
- Sebastian Coe 1:44.91 GBR 1983
- Mbulaeni Mulaudzi 1:44.91 RSA 2008
- André Bucher 1:44.93 SUI 2002
- Wilfred Bungei 1:44.97 KEN 2003
- André Olivier 1:44.99 RSA 2014