By Gary Smith, World-Track
Jamaican sprint phenomenon Usain Bolt has confirmed his withdrawal from competition for the rest of the season.
The triple world and Olympic champion has been running on an almost empty cylinder since the closing sections of the World Championships in Berlin last month and he believes if he continues to compete in such condition he only runs the risk of picking up serious injuries.
"I have been suffering from fatigue from as early as the Zürich meet and after careful discussions with my coach and management team, even with medical advice, we felt it necessary to close the season," he said on www.usainbolt.com.
"The season has been long and has been challenging with early challenges I faced. In addition the risk of injury becomes greater and if I compete in the shape I am in, I may be at great risk."
The 23-year-old will close his season with a race over the 200 metres at the World Athletics Final in Thessaloniki, Greece this weekend.
He was scheduled to run 100m races in Shanghai on 20 September and in Daegu on 25 September but was forced to cancelled this Asian trip because of some tired legs which has been on the road since July 1.
The Shanghai Golden Grand Prix would have been Bolt’s first race back in China since his history making three gold medals and three world record performances at last year’s Olympic Games in Beijing, and he apologized to the fans for his absence.
"I know the Chinese fans will be disappointed, but I beg your understanding as I return home to rest and be prepared for next year’s exploits," he said. "I thank all of you for your support and I look forward to coming to China next year," he added.