Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

News Brief

Caster Semenya pulls out of race in the midst of gender row

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa — World champion Caster Semenya has withdrawn from a meeting this weekend amid speculation about the runner’s gender.

The South African Press Association quotes her coach, Michael Seme, as saying she will not take part in the 4,000 meters at the national cross country championships in Pretoria on Saturday.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

He had said earlier this week that Semenya would run, saying she was “not feeling well.”

Earlier this week, an Australian newspaper reported that testing determined she has male and female sexual organs triggered outrage in South Africa on Friday.

The International Association of Athletics Federations, which ordered the tests, refused to confirm or deny the reports. The IAAF said it will issue a decision on test results in November.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Semenya won the women’s 800m title at the IAAF World Championships in Berlin, Germany last month.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Put together by a member of the World-Track and Field Website team members. This is usually done by an in house member with able assistance from someone or an agency reporting from outside.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

EDITOR'S PICKS