Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Just In

Powell says Gay was following him to prove something

By Gary Smith, World-Track

China Shanghai Golden Grand PrixKINGSTON — Asafa Powell was cut down to size this season, losing more races to his arch rivals than he won, but in the midst of that, he failed to set a personal best for the first time in seven seasons.

American Tyson Gay had a field day in head-to-head clashes with his Jamaican rival in a 6-1 hammering of the former world record holder, as he squared their all-time match-ups at seven a piece.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

The sprinters met five times in 2006 and then once there after until the 2009 term where they face each other almost everywhere.

Their frequent clashes in a single season was something rare, and Powell said he felt the American was following him to prove a point.

"I don’t know why, everywhere I go he (Tyson Gay) was there as if he was trying to prove something," Powell said on his arrival in Jamaica Saturday night.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

"It seems as if he had something to prove, I did not have anything to prove. I just really wanted to finish the season," added Powell, who earlier this month said he was not expecting to race Gay so many times this year.

After finishing behind Gay for three straight races, Powell sneaked a victory in when he used a rocket start to hold off the world silver medallist at the final Golden League meeting of the season in Brussels.

But that win did not have time to soak in as Gay returned with three more wins on his way to setting a new American record of 9.69seconds, becoming only the second man to dip under 9.70secs legally.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

The pair ended their campaigns at the Daegu Pre-Championships Meeting in South Korea last week where Gay chased down Powell to cement his dominance this year, something the Jamaican did not take lightly.

"I am definitely tired of losing," the 27-year-old said. "I told myself I am not going to lose anymore and I am going into next year with that mindset.

"I don’t want to lose another race, so definitely I am going out there to do greater things than I have ever done before," he added.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

There were many who themselves were surprised to see Gay still on the circuit, following a groin injury he complained about leading up to the world championships in Berlin last month.

Despite the injury, the American produced his best season ever, becoming the second fastest man to cover the 100m dash at the expense of Powell, whose personal best is 9.72s.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Put together by a member of the World-Track and Field Website team members. This is usually done by an in house member with able assistance from someone or an agency reporting from outside.

15 Comments

15 Comments

1. Anthony

September 27, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Tyson Gay is a fraud and a lier…Nothing wrong with his groin, nothing more than shave bumps on his balls rubbing causing friction. Nothing to the fact that will prevent him from performing at his best.

He just tell people about the groin problem because he needed something to blame so he can skip the 200m and if Bolt beat him badly, he can always say its the groin.

I would now tell him to damage the groin some more so he can continue to run fast because if he fixed it, that may just slow him down.

All these years Tayson Gay never run 9.75 but its when he sick he running these time… If his groin was such a problem and still he was able to run 9.69 and 9.71, then the logical reasoning is to think he was running less than 9.6 when he wasnt sick.

2. walter fitzpatrick

September 27, 2009 at 5:42 pm

tyson gay is afraid to race bolt because he himself doesnt like losing so he took it out on asafa powell because he knew asafa was not at his best, i really like asafa but he needs to stop talking about beating bolt when he cant even beat gay. he is still a premier sprinter with lots of ability, but he is a bit of an enigma to me cant quite figure whats wrong but hes not the same guy he was 3 or 4 years ago not running through the tape hes developed the habit of slowing up at the finish line. he looks too bulky to me not fluid as before, just my opinion as a fan. i think his main weakness now is his mental preparation. tyson gay on the other hand hasnt convinced me that hes for real but he must be given the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise, his constant complaining about a phantom groin injury is reason to have question marks about whats really going on, time will determine if he is indeed a liar. my belief is no man can keep running faster times if hes injured the way he says he is. asafa powell needs to regain his old form then we could see some real fireworks.

3. MICKEY

September 27, 2009 at 6:58 pm

I THINK IN THIS CASE THE EXCUSES ARE A GOOD THING. WHAT MANAGER IN HIS OR HER RIGHT MIND WOULDN’T SUGGEST TO TYSON OR ASAFA TO SAY WHAT THEY ARE SAYING??? BEING HUMBLE IS BORING AND ONLY GETS YOU SO FAR IN THE BUSINESS OF TRACK. THESE MEET ORGANIZERS NEED GREAT COMPETITION, RIVALS, HEAD TO HEADS ETC.. TO SELL TICKETS!!! MR. BOLT OWNED THEM BOTH, AND HE WILL PROBELY CONTINUE TO OWN THEM, SOOOOOO IT SEEMS TO ME, BOTH ARE SMART TO COME UP WITH EXCUSES SO WE ALL CAN LOOK FORWARD TO NEXT SEASON. MAYBE THEY WILL RUN FASTER, MAYBE THEY WILL ACTUALLY COMPETE WITH BOLT. AND, WHO ARE WE KIDDING, THEY BOTH KEPT RUNNING LATE IN THE SEASON BECAUSE THEY WERE PAID LOTS OF MONEY!!!!

4. Kerr-toney Phillip

September 27, 2009 at 7:50 pm

Mr Powell,you are one of my all time favourites but until you and your management re-tool and forward;ease up on the talking. Boss sometimes you say the most bizarre things. At one time it was rumored that You would take the world record to 9.5s. Now that has not happened yet! If you can just re-tool and do! other wise stop talking nonsense.

5. waynef

September 27, 2009 at 10:40 pm

This Confirms what I’ve said before. Gay talked about racing bolt all Season but everytime they had a chance to clash, Gay would sidestep Bolt. whenever they were at the same meet together Gay would chose to run whatever distance Bolt isn’t running. If you say you want to race someone, as badly as you say you do, this doesn’t make sense, As both Bolt and Gay repeatedly said they wanted to race each other especially before Berlin. It’s unfourtunate that Asafa did not come back to full fitness before Berlin, having missed 9 weeks of his regular training due to his ankle injury. I agree with Asafa. Asafa really had nothing to prove, and he ran that way. Over the last 3 years before Osaka, Powell held a 4-0 lead over Gay in head to head match-ups. Tyson was not so eager to race him then. Asafa ran many races on the circuit and dominated during that time. setting a seasons best every season for the last 7 seasons untill his injury this year. I Still Think Asafa’s run of 9.72 with a 0.2m/s tailwind is a better quality run than gays 9.69 with 2.0m/s tailwind or even Gays 9.71 with 0.90 tailwind in Berlin. Asafa will prove himself once again as soon as he’s back to fitness, I’m sure of it. Powells Start has never abandoned him but he missed out on a lot of his speed work having missed 9 weeks of training. I’m glad that Asafa has not ducked anyone wether he was sick, lame or lazy.

6. MICKEY

September 27, 2009 at 11:24 pm

Asafa got his ass handed to him by GAY this season, so now Powell’s stock is dropping, as far as meet directors are concerned. He’s now being seen as an also-ran, 3rd fiddle kind of guy, which tranlates to less money from the Suits. I’m sure Powell’s managment know’s those beat down’s from GAY were not good and with the fast rising Yohan Blake in the Mills camp, Powell needs a very strong season next year! As for now, Tyson Gay has solidified his “challenger to throne” status. running extremely fast times at the end of the season, which translates to the possiblity of more money next year. This all about BUSINESS and the Bolt, Powell and Gay camps know it!!!!

7. Horse

September 28, 2009 at 12:24 am

Mickey,….don’t let Gay fool you….for his9.69 race he needed most allowable wind behind his back to push him to 9.69…which was 2.0m/s..If you go back and check his fast times…9.68,..in the trials…4.5m/s of wind..his 9.71…which at the time was..1.0m/s…his 9.77…1.8m/s…and so on…His groin isn’t hurt..I ran track in High-school,..and College…when your groin is hurt you can barely walk…let alone run 9.71….Oh food for thought….Usain ran 9.69..slowing down at the 80 meter mark…running in0.0m/s wind..And ran 9.58…slowing down at the tape…running into a -1.6m/s headwind…HEADWIND!….and missing 2 months of training..due to the car accident…Gay can’t beat usain…he never will..So when Asafa gets his ass back in shape…he’ll have to deal with the ( Prototype )…thats what we call asafa…So good luck Gay next year..you gonna need it..!

8. waynef

September 28, 2009 at 12:30 am

Hey Mickey, I agree that Powell got his ass handed to him. but many wouldn’t put it so drastic considering he finished the season ranked convincing third in the world. if you consider that a beat down, what would you consider Jamaica’s performance in the Sprints at Berlin WC this past year. I think that a fitting word would be Massacre, by both our men and women. Asafa was right to say that Tyson had something to prove, just as Shelly ann said about Jeter. It doesn’t matter though cause I’m sure that both Shelly ann and Asafa will continue to get even better with time. as they have done every year as Pros. Next year will be a Different story.

9. MICKEY

September 28, 2009 at 1:29 am

massacre, beat down = ass getting handed to ya! Same Sh*t! Don’t get it twisted, Mr. Powell has alot to prove next year. Do you think Asafa like’s being a convincing third place? not!!!!!! I like Asafa, he seems like a cool dude, but if he is content with being third runner-up, he is proving his critics right, he is an under-achiever! Being a fan of Ms. Frazer, she has nothing to prove, she is the Olympic and World Champ. But, that training only for the big meets thing is smart but boring. That’s why i could never wrap arms around Gail Devers, never was a dominating sprinter, a complete bore. If Jeter dominates next year, which I think she will, she will then become the top draw in the women’s sprints, expecially if she starts winning the 200 meter over VCB and Felix. It will be interesting to see what developes in T&F next year.

10. waynef

September 28, 2009 at 4:47 am

Jeter can have the smaller races. you will never see Jeter dominate over shelly ann or Kerron stewart. remember shelly ann’s 10.73 done at the age of 22. She basically took half the season off, due to surgery and still kicked ass when it mattered. do you think she’s gonna get better. I’m not concerned about your 30 year old prodigy. I don’t think Shelly ann is concerned Eigther. she knows what she’s capable of.

11. MICKEY

September 28, 2009 at 9:45 am

We can only wait and see, good luck to all!

12. Fuller

September 28, 2009 at 2:56 pm

They can’t stop Jamaica in or out of competition. Asafa Powell will come back next season. Tyson likes a injured Asafa to race and runs from a fit Bolt. Crazy get up and face your enemy head on.

13. PC

September 28, 2009 at 5:15 pm

Very interesting comments. Can’t wait for next year when Usain, Kerron, Shelly-Ann,
    Veronica are running one off races. That should be great fun to watch. I predict that Usain will run 9:50 or below. Tyson will never catch a fit and sharp Usain again.

14. waynef

September 29, 2009 at 9:04 am

I’m just glad that Powell finally woke up and smelled the coffee. it’s nice to hear him say he hates losing. It’s nice to hear him vow to come back better than ever next season. personally I was getting sick of seeing him underachieve. if it was another athlete, even another Jamaican athlete I wouldn’t feel so bad to see them give the type of performance that Powell Gave this year. Asafa is far more talented than what he showed this year.

15. waynef

September 30, 2009 at 4:17 pm

I think that If Asafa Comes back fit next year, we will not see Tyson Gay trying to Race him as often. Tyson gay likes to go after wounded Prey, then claim injury to himself just to save face.