LONDON – Usain Bolt says he was disappointed the American camp, especially with rival Justin Gatlin, for think that he would fake-out of the Jamaica Olympic Trials.
Bolt withdrew from the JAAA National Trials earlier this month before the 100 metres final and applied for a medical exemption.
The six-time Olympic champion immediately underwent treatment and proved his fitness with a winning performance in his first 200m outing of the season at the Anniversary Games – London Diamond League meeting – on Friday.
After running 19.89 seconds to confirm his fitness ahead of the Rio Olympic Games next month, Bolt said he felt as though he was the victim of disrespectful comments from his rivals.
American sprinter Michael Rodgers said at the time: “Until someone beats him (Bolt), puts him in his place, he is going to continue to do what he wants to do.”
Gatlin added: “He is Usain, so we’re going to see his face in Rio one way or another.
“When you command a certain power in track and field, sometimes you get to exercise it.
“He is injured and he has a medical pass. That is what his country does. Our country doesn’t do that.”
Bolt wasn’t impressed by those comments.
“I felt it was a joke,” he said on Friday. “I felt it was a disrespect [if] they think I’d back out of a trials.
“I’ve proven myself year on year that I’m the greatest,” a confident Bolt said. “I laughed when I heard it.
“I was disappointed, especially in Justin Gatlin.”
On Friday, Bolt defeated Panama’s 2009 IAAF World Championships silver medallist Alonso Edward, who ran a seasonal best of 20.04 for second place and Great Britain’s Adam Gemili, who took third, also in a seasonal best time of 20.07.
Bolt, 29, will now join Yohan Blake and Nickel Ashaemade in the Jamaican men’s 100m and 200m squads for Rio.
The sprint legend says he is now focusing on sharpening up to defend his sprint double at the Olympic Games in Brazil.