LOS ANGELES, Calif. (May 27) – Marie-Josee Ta Lou ran speedy and an impressive time of 10.88 seconds (1.3 m/s) in the women’s 100-meter dash qualifiers at the 2023 USATF LA Grand Prix held at UCLA Drake Stadium in Los Angeles on Saturday. Ta Lou’s time was the fastest among the competitors, solidifying her position as one of the favorites for the final later in the evening, while Sha’Carri Richardson and Aleia Hobbs also went under 11-seconds in the heats.
Coming off her quick performance of 10.78 seconds in Florida earlier this month, the Ivory Coast sprinter continued to shine, setting a new record at Drake Stadium. With about 30 meters remaining in the race, Ta Lou caught up to Aleia Hobbs and then eased down in the closing meters, showcasing her potential to deliver even more in the final.
Joining Ta Lou in the final, Hobbs secured second place in her heat with a time of 10.95 seconds, marking the third-fastest time of the day. Shashalee Forbes of Jamaica (11.20 seconds) and Mikiah Brisco of the USA (11.21 seconds) also progressed to the final from their respective heats.
In heat one, Sha’Carri Richardson, the American world leader, easily claimed victory with a time of 10.90 seconds, despite facing a slight -0.8 m/s headwind. Richardson executed a solid start and maintained control throughout the race, conserving her energy for an even faster performance in the final.
Morolake Akinosun of the USA finished in second place in a time of 11.12 seconds, with Alana Reid of Jamaica matching that time for third place. Celera Barnes of the USA secured the fourth and final spot in the finalists’ lineup, recording a time of 11.13 seconds.
The highly anticipated final of the women’s 100m at the 2023 USATF LA Grand Prix is scheduled to take place at 5:45 p.m. ET at UCLA Drake Stadium in Los Angeles.
USATF LA Grand Prix Women’s 100m Heats Results
Heat 1 Results:
Wind: -0.8 m/s
- Sha’Carri Richardson (United States) 10.90 Q
- Morolake Akinosun (United States) 11.12 Q
- Alana Reid (Jamaica) 11.12 Q
- Celera Barnes (United States) 11.13 Q
- Melissa Jefferson (United States) 11.16
- Gabrielle Thomas (United States) 11.23
- Javianne Oliver (United States) 11.29
- English Gardner (United States) 11.34
Heat 2 Results:
Wind: 1.3 m/s
- (1) Marie-Josee Ta Lou (Ivory Coast) 10.88 Q
- (3) Aleia Hobbs (United States) 10.95 Q
- (8) Shashalee Forbes (Jamaica) 11.20 Q
- (9) Mikiah Brisco (United States) 11.21 Q
- (11) Shannon Ray (United States) 11.25
- (12) Ashanti Moore (Jamaica) 11.28
- (15) Kiara Grant (Jamaica) 11.52
DNF Briana Williams (Jamaica)
Note: DNF stands for Did Not Finish.