LANDOVER, Maryland (June 15) – Nigeria’s Edose Ibadin and France’s Claudia Saunders secured the victories in the men’s and women’s Maryland Qualifier 800-meter races held at the Prince George’s Sports and Learning Complex on Thursday.
Ibadin, who recently recorded a season best time of 1:45.49 for third place at the 2023 Music City Track Carnival, continued his strong form by clocking 1:46.79 to claim the top spot in the Maryland Qualifier.
“1:46 today but got the win. Back to the drawing board on this road to Budapest,” Ibadin wrote on Twitter after his race.
Quamel Prince of Guyana finished closely behind with a season-best time of 1:46.90, securing second place, while Vincent Crisp from the United States took third place with a time of 1:47.02. Ghana’s Alex Amankwa (1:47.15) and the Dominican Republic’s Luis Peralta (1:47.16) completed the top five.
In the women’s race, Claudia Saunders crossed the finish line in first place with a season-best time of 2:01.62. Following closely behind, Sabrina Southerland of the United States secured second place with a season-best time of 2:01.98, while Presley Weems (2:02.94) finished third.
Rachael Walters from the United States claimed fourth place with a time of 2:03.19, and Great Britain’s Gemma Finch took fifth place with a time of 2:03.73.
Notably, no qualifying times were achieved in these races for the upcoming World Athletics Championships in Budapest, which will take place in August. Read more abother the world championships entry standards here.
Maryland Qualifier 800 Results
Men’s 800m Final Results:
- Edose Ibadin (Nigeria) – 1:46.79
- Quamel Prince (Guyana) – 1:46.90
- Vincent Crisp (United States) – 1:47.02
- Alex Amankwa (Ghana) – 1:47.15
- Luis Peralta (Dominican Republic) – 1:47.16
- Luciano Fiore (United States) – 1:47.36
- Clayborn Pender (United States) – 1:48.20
CJ Jones (United States) – DNF
Robert Downs (United States) – DNF
Women’s 800m Final Results:
- Claudia Saunders (France) – 2:01.62
- Sabrina Southerland (United States) – 2:01.98
- Presley Weems (United States) – 2:02.94
- Rachael Walters (United States) – 2:03.19
- Gemma Finch (United Kingdom) – 2:03.73
- Danae Rivers (United States) – 2:03.93
- Jordan Shead (United States) – 2:04.86
- Hannah Segrave (United Kingdom) – 2:09.44