FLORENCE (June 2) – The highly anticipated women’s discus throw event at the Wanda Diamond League Golden Gala in Florence today will see Olympic champion Valarie Allman go head-to-head with Bin Feng. Allman, representing the United States, currently leads the field with an outstanding season best throw of 70.25 meters and aims to maintain her top form on Friday (June 2).
Valarie Allman to Face Bin Feng in Women’s Discus Throw Showdown at Wanda Diamond League Golden Gala
Allman has been on an impressive winning streak, securing victory in her last four competitions, including a solid performance of 68.39 meters to claim the top spot at the USATF LA Grand Prix held at the UCLA Drake Stadium in Los Angeles just a week ago.
However, the American standout will face strong competition from Bin Feng, the reigning world champion from China, who has also displayed excellent form in her four appearances this season. The Chinese athlete has a season best of 66.70m, but could need to get close to her personal best at 69.12m if she is to beat Allman.
Jorinde van Klinken, the bronze medalist at the European Championships, hailing from the Netherlands, possesses a personal best of 70.22 meters and holds the second-best throw of the season at 67.05 meters.
Additional contenders in the women’s discus throw field at the Golden Gala Diamond League meeting in Florence include Laulauga Tausaga from the United States, boasting a year-best mark of 63.92 meters and a personal best of 64.49 meters.
Here are the key athletes and their notable statistics:
- Valarie Allman (USA) – 70.25m (Season Best), 71.46m (Personal Best)
- Bin Feng (China) – 66.70m (SB), 69.12m (PB)
- Jorinde van Klinken (Netherlands) – 67.05m (SB), 70.22m (PB)
- Liliana Cá (Portugal) – 64.32m (SB), 66.40m (PB)
- Daisy Osakue (Italy) – 63.34m (SB), 63.66m (PB)
- Shanice Craft (Germany) – 65.89m (SB)
- Melina Robert-Michon (France) – 65.49m (SB), 66.73m (PB)
- Laulauga Tausaga (USA) – 63.92m (SB), 64.49m (PB)
- Izabela da Silva (Brazil) – 62.68m (SB), 63.04m (PB)