AUSTIN, Texas (June 11) – Maia Ramsden of Harvard delivered a remarkable performance, securing the NCAA title in the Women’s 1500m with a time of 4:08.60 and setting a personal best in the process. The following are the results and video highlights of Ramsden’s stunning triumph in the 1500m NCAA final.
Maia Ramsden Clinches NCAA Title with Spectacular 1500m Performance
The talented sophomore from New Zealand showcased her strategic approach by maintaining a steady pace before unleashing a powerful surge in the final 400m, ultimately sprinting to victory in the last 100m. – Read more: Maia Ramsden sets PB, wins 1500m at NCAA Championships; Tuohy fades to 7th
Despite Katelyn Tuohy of NC State’s ambitious goal of a historic 1500m and 5000m double, she encountered an obstacle from the start. Tuohy paid the price for a rapid opening 1100m and gradually faded, ultimately finishing seventh with a time of 4:11.40.
The Women’s 1500m final at the 2023 NCAA Outdoor Championships witnessed three athletes achieving personal bests. Billah Jepkirui, a freshman at Oklahoma State, clocked 4:10.17 for fifth place, while Shannon Flockhart, a sophomore at Providence, finished sixth with a time of 4:10.78.
Tuohy’s disappointing display continued as she decided not to compete in the 5000m event. Her coach, Laurie Henes, made the decision to withdraw her from the championships to prioritize her future in the sport.
Behind Ramsden, the podium was completed by Izzy Thornton-Bott of Oregon, who secured the silver medal with a time of 4:09.21, and Margot Appleton of Virginia, who claimed the bronze medal with a time of 4:09.30.
Results of the Women’s 1500m at the 2023 NCAA Outdoor Track & Field Championships:
- Maia Ramsden, Harvard [SO] – 4:08.60 PB
- Izzy Thornton-Bott, Oregon [JR] – 4:09.21
- Margot Appleton, Virginia [SO] – 4:09.30
- Klaudia Kazimierska, Oregon [FR] – 4:09.84
- Billah Jepkirui, Oklahoma State [FR] – 4:10.17 PB
- Shannon Flockhart, Providence [SO] – 4:10.78 PB
- Katelyn Tuohy, NC State [SO] – 4:11.40
- Olivia Howell, Illinois [JR] – 4:11.54 SB
- Abbe Goldstein, New Mexico [SR] – 4:11.86
- Maddy Elmore, Oregon [FR] – 4:12.70
- Melissa Riggins, Georgetown [SO] – 4:16.57
- Sophie O’Sullivan, Washington [SO] – 4:22.81