Young sprint sensation Shawnti Jackson showcased her incredible talent by setting a new U.S. high school national record at the 2023 Music City Track Carnival held at the Vanderbilt Track Facility in Nashville. Jackson, absorbing the intense heat here at trackside, blazed through the finish line in a remarkable time of 10.89 seconds with a wind reading of +0.9 m/s.
Coming back from an injury, Jackson proved her full fitness as she surged to victory, leaving her senior competitors in her wake. – Read more: UPDATED: How to watch the 2023 Music City Track Carnival?
Her time also bettered the previous World under-20 leading time of 10.92 seconds, posted by Jamaica’s Alana Reid earlier this year.
What Did Shawnti Jackson Say After Setting 100m National High School Record?
In an interview with the Puma American Track League, the Univeristy of Arkansas Razorback commit expressed her immense satisfaction with the race, stating, “I have been working on this race my life, and to finally come out here and execute it in the third race of the season after coming back from injury and having the high school national record means a lot.”
Finishing behind Shawnti Jackson, who is 18-years-old, was Kortnei Johnson of the United States, who clocked an impressive time of 11.06 seconds, securing second place. Brittany Brown, also from the United States, shared the same time of 11.06 seconds and claimed the third spot on the podium.
Melissa Jefferson, the U.S. champion and a finalist at the World Championships, finished fifth with a time of 11.10 seconds.
Adding to the performances of high school athletes, Adaejah Hodge, representing the British Virgin Islands, crossed the line in a commendable time of 11.20 seconds.
2023 Music City Track Carnival Pro Women’s 100m Results
- Shawnti Jackson (USA) – 10.89 (PB) – React: 0.181 – Lane 6
- Kortnei Johnson (USA) – 11.06 – React: 11.051 – Lane 7
- Brittany Brown (USA) – 11.06 – React: 11.053 – Lane 5
- Murielle Ahoure-Demps (CIV) – 11.09 (SB) – React: 0.176 – Lane 1
- Melissa Jefferson (USA) – 11.10 – React: 0.490 – Lane 4
- Natalliah Whyte (JAM) – 11.13 (SB) – React: 0.179 – Lane 8
- Adaejah Hodge (USA) – 11.20 – React: 0.191 – Lane 2
- Kiara Parker (USA) – 11.27 – React: 0.418 – Lane 3