BUDAPEST, Hungary (August 25) — The World Athletics Championships – Budapest23 is set for another electrifying showdown on Friday as Sha’Carri Richardson, fresh off her 100m victory, gears up for the women’s 200m final. Positioned in lane nine, Richardson is eyeing a sprint double, a feat that won’t come easy given the formidable competition.
However, the 200m presents a different challenge. Not typically her strongest event, Richardson’s competitors are keenly aware of this potential vulnerability.
Jackson, the defending champion and second-fastest woman ever over 200m, confidently secured her semifinal win, even besting Richardson in the process. Promising a swift performance in the final, she’ll be taking her mark in lane six three lanes behind her American competitor.
But the competition doesn’t stop there. World leader and U.S. champion Gabby Thomas will start on Richardson’s heels, featuring from lane eight.
With a personal and season-best of 21.60 seconds, Thomas is undeniably a top contender for gold. If she can mirror that performance in Budapest, she might just find herself with the coveted gold medal.
Also in the mix is St. Lucia’s Julien Alfred. After narrowly missing a podium finish in the 100m earlier this week, Alfred, boasting a personal best of 21.91 seconds, is resolute in her quest for a medal in the 200m.
The final also includes 2019 world champion Dina Asher-Smith of Great Britain, her compatriot Daryll Neita, Marie-Josée Ta Lou of Ivory Coast, and Bahamas’ Anthonique Strachan.
Women’s 200m Final Start List and Lane Assignments:
Final – 25 August 2023, 3:40 p.m. ET
- Lane 2: Marie-Josée Ta Lou (CIV) – PB: 22.08, SB: 22.26
- Lane 3: Anthonique Strachan (BAH) – PB: 22.15, SB: 22.15
- Lane 4: Dina Asher-Smith (GBR) – PB: 21.88, SB: 22.23
- Lane 5: Daryll Neita (GBR) – PB: 22.21, SB: 22.21
- Lane 6: Shericka Jackson (JAM) – PB: 21.45, SB: 21.71
- Lane 7: Julien Alfred (LCA) – PB: 21.91, SB: 21.91
- Lane 8: Gabby Thomas (USA) – PB: 21.60, SB: 21.60
- Lane 9: Sha’Carri Richardson (USA) – PB: 21.94, SB: 21.94