MONACO — Gender tests on South African world champion Caster Semenya have not yet been completed, the IAAF said Wednesday.

The International Association of Athletics Federations had been expected to announce its findings on Friday, but instead said it would not discuss her medical tests.

“The IAAF will not comment upon the medical aspects of Caster Semenya’s case,” the governing body said in a statement. “There will be no discussion of Caster Semenya’s case at the forthcoming IAAF Council Meeting. … No further comment will be made on this subject until further notice.”

The IAAF Council is set to meet on Friday and Saturday.

The 18-year-old Semenya won the women’s 800-meter world title in August in a season’s best 1 minute, 55.45 seconds, but had her accomplishment overshadowed by gender test revelations.

Before the final, the IAAF said it had ordered gender tests be conducted on her because of her muscular build and recent rapid improvement in times.

In South Africa, the case has also entangled the president of the South African athletics federation, Leonard Chuene. In September, Chuene admitted he lied about his knowledge of gender tests performed on Semenya in South Africa before the worlds. He has since been suspended.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.