The selected Seoul Marathon 2022 results from the race which took place on Sunday, 17 April. The event is part of the 2022 World Athletics Label Road Races – Elite Platinum level series.
This year the well-entertaining event produced a pair of course records, three national records, and several personal bests.
More: Boston Marathon 2022 Results; Chebet and Jepchirchir win race titles
On the women’s side, Kenyan-born Joan Chelimo, representing Romania for only the second time in a marathon, recorded a new national record and personal best time of 2:18:04 to improve the previous course record of 2:19:51, set in 2006 by China’s Zhou Chunxia.
The winning time by Chelimo is the fourth-fastest in the world this season, and the third-fastest European performance ever behind Briton’s Paula Radcliffe’s world record time of 2:15:25 and Israel’s Lonah Chemtai Salpeter (2:17:45).
In Seoul on the weekend, Ethiopia’s Sutume Asefa was also quick, running a new personal best time of 2:18:12 for second place and lowered her previous PB from 2:20:30, while Eunice Chebichii Chumba ran the race of her life to set a new Bahraini record with 2:20:02 to secure third.
Celestine Chepchirchir of Kenya clocked 2:20:10 for fourth with a new PB, while Netsanet Gudeta of Ethiopia rounded out the top five finishers at 2:20:45.
Record-breaking run from Geremew too
Ethiopia’s Mosinet Geremew won the men’s contest, and also set a new Seoul Marathon 2022 course record with 2:04:43 in the process. His return took down the previous mark of 2:05:13, set by Wilson Loyanae Erupe of Kenya in 2016.
Geremew won a closely contested men’s race, which saw his compatriot Herpasa Negasa taking second with 2:04:49, the second fastest of his career, with Daniel do Nascimento of Brazil finishing third with an impressive time of 2:04:51 to set a new South American record.
Mark Korir of Kenya ran 2:06:54 for fourth place and countryman Moses Kipkemboi Kibet followed behind in a new lifetime mark of 2:06:55 to complete the top five runners on the men’s side.
Seoul Marathon 2022 Men’s results
1. Mosinet Geremew, Ethiopia 2:04:43 CR
2. Herpasa Negasa, Ethiopia 2:04:49
3. Daniel do Nascimento, Brazil 2:04:51 South America Area Record and PB
4. Mark Korir, Kenya 2:06:54
5. Moses Kipkemboi Kibet, Kenya 2:06:55 PB
6. Philemon Rono Cherop, Kenya 2:07:03
7. Felix Kipchirchir Kandie, Kenya 2:07:18
8. Belachew Alemayehu, Ethiopia 2:07:55
9. Kenneth Keter, Kenya 2:08:21
10. Olonbayar Jamsran, Mongolia 2:11:02 PB
11. Oh Joohan, Korea 2:11:16
12. Gantulga Dambadarjaa, Mongolia 2:11:18 PB
13. Byambajav Tseveenravdan, Mongolia 2:11:23
14. Bernard Kiprop Kipyego, Kenya 2:11:25
15. Park Minho, Korea 2:11:43 PB
16. Filex Chemonges, Uganda 2:12:14
17. Shim Jongsub, Korea 2:13:01
18. Lee Jungkook, Korea 2:13:39 PB
19. Kim Geonoh, Korea 2:14:08 PB
20. Kim Sejong, Korea 2:16:02
Seoul Marathon 2022 Women’s results
1. Joan Chelimo Melly, Romania 2:18:04 CR and NR
2. Sutume Asefa, Ethiopia 2:18:12 PB
3. Eunice Chumba, Bahrain 2:20:02 NR and PB
4. Celestine Chepchirchir, Kenya 2:20:10 PB
5. Netsanet Gudeta, Ethiopia 2:20:45
6. Guteni Shone, Ethiopia 2:28:05
7. Choi Kyungsun, Korea 2:30:42
8. Shure Demise, Ethiopia 2:30:46
9. Selly Chepyego Kaptich, Kenya 2:30:50
10. Kim Doyeon, Korea 2:34:31
11. Lee Sookjeong, Korea 2:38:41
12. Lee Jaeyoung, Korea 2:48:48 PB
For more information about the event please visit the race website by clicking here