RALEIGH, N.C. (24 March 2023) – Virginia’s Ashley Anumba broke a school and meet record with her first throw in the Women’s Discus Finals en route to securing the win at the 2023 Raleigh Relays at the Paul Derr Track and Field Facility on Friday, March 24.
The Virginia senior made a remarkable introduction to the competition as she threw the discus 59.37 meters (194’9″) in the first round of the contest to clinch the victory, surpassing her own UVA school record and the previous Raleigh Relays record of 56.32m (184-9), set by Veronica Fraley in 2022.
In addition to her record-breaking first throw, the Nigerian athlete also tossed 54.85m and 55.94m in the fifth and sixth rounds, respectively. Read more: Day 2: 2023 Raleigh Relays Schedule and Events
Essence Henderson of Virginia Tech, who finished 10th in the Shot Put Final on Thursday, put in an improved performance in the discus competition. She finished second to Anumba with a mark of 55.92m, done in the fifth round. Myrissa McFolling-Young of the University of Delaware secured third place with a personal best throw of 53.74m and rounded out the podium.
Anumba’s impressive performance in the first outdoor meet of the season sets the tone for what could be a promising campaign ahead for the 23-year-old.
Below you will find the Top 10 finishers in the event. For the full result list, click here
Results for the Women’s Discus Finals at the 2023 Raleigh Relays:
- Ashley Anumba, Virginia [SR] – 59.37m (194-9) – PB, MR
- Essence Henderson, Virginia Tech [SR] – 55.92m (183-5)
- Myrissa McFolling-Young, Delaware [SR] – 53.74m (176-4) – PB
- Leia Braunagel, Wake Forest [SR] – 52.53m (172-4)
- JoEllen Driscoll, North Carolina [SO] – 51.98m (170-6) – PB
- Bryanna Hames, United States – 51.06m (167-6)
- Janae Profit, Virginia [SO] – 50.20m (164-8) – PB
- Siniru Iheoma, Princeton [SO] – 50.04m (164-2)
- Teasha McKoy, Buffalo [SR] – 47.61m (156-2)
- Kaitlin McGoogan, Elon [JR] – 47.14m (154-8)
Note: “PB” denotes a personal best, and “MR” denotes a meet record.